Friday, July 13, 2012

Change of Priorities

This summer has been so good for me.  I had a stressful school year with Eric traveling a lot,  Corbin's stomach problems, and new evaluation standards.  It really made me stop and think what or who is important.  I wrote my top 5 Priorities and printed it out.  I have one copy hanging in my bedroom, and I am going to carry one copy with me.  When I start to get stressed or overwhelmed, I am going to pull out my list and see if it's on there.  Should it be as big a deal as I am making it?  Here are my top priorities for 2012 - 2013:

1.  God - We go to a fabulous church and feel like it is home to us.  We are blessed to have a wonderful Pastor and church family.  But I need to concentrate on my personal relationship with God.  I need to read His Word more and ask for understanding.  I can't be content to just attend church on Sunday and Wednesday and listen.  I need to become actively involved. 

2.  Family - I love my family.  They mean everything to me.  I need to adjust my attitude and speak with more loving words.  With Eric traveling so much, it can be easy to take everything out on him.  I need to make sure my children see a positive, loving relationship between us.  I know this affects children so much.  I also need to say No to my children more.  Material things are just that.  They simple don't need everything.  I want to work on them volunteering more to help people in need.

3.  My job - I still love teaching and feel that God called me to be a teacher.  It is so stressful these days being a teacher.  I have to realize I need to give it 100% and then leave it at school. I also need to work on being more positive and not listening or getting caught up in negative talks.  Negative talks benefit no one.  As a teacher, I need to set a good example for my students.  My new principal told me that if you do something in the best interest of the students, and it doesn't work out, it's OK.  Admit your mistake and move on.  We are human, and we are going to make mistakes. I thought that was so supportive and kind.

4.  Myself /Health - I tend to, as other mothers, to put myself last on the list.  But if I am not taking care of myself, how can I take care of everyone else?  I need to take time to exercise, read, or whatever I need to do to relieve my stress.  I need to take grandparents or friends up on watching my kids.  They know with Eric traveling, I need time to myself.  I did not take their help this past year.

5.  Friends - I need to make my friends a priority.  I have some friends I have know since elementary school.  I have some new friends I have meet at church or work.  I need to take the initiative and ask them to lunch or schedule a girls' day.  I tend to wait around on others to plan everything.  I have one friend that has asked me several times to get together with her.  I never did.  I know she got tired of asking me.  Ha!  So I asked her, and we are going to lunch this coming Tuesday. 


I am so looking forward to this school year.  I am well rested and enthusiastic.  And I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  I need to rely on Him more this coming school year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

You stopped by my blog yesterday and left a comment. Unfortunately, it is going to be deleted because I am deleting the post. I too am looking at my priorities, and right now, writing falls far down on the list, so I am extending my sabbatical to focus on God, my family, and my household.

Michele said...

I love your list! It's so hard to remember all those things and keep priorities in order. :)

Jennifer said...

Love this list and I agree it's so important to get the important things in order. I'm looking forward to this school year as well, I feel like I'm ahead of the game by working so much this summer to get everything like I want it.



The Townsends


Designed By:


Munchkin Land Designs

google anayltics




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved